ÖBB Nightjet: Travel overnight to more than 25 major European cities
From Berlin to Zurich, Hamburg to Vienna, or Stuttgart and Munich to Italy – the ÖBB Nightjet train takes you to numerous European destinations in comfort overnight.
- Travel overnight to more than 25 major European cities
- Car or motorbike transport on some services
- Book your own private compartment
Questions and answers
Yes, you need a valid reservation to travel on the ÖBB Nightjet. The reservation is already included when booking the ticket.
Yes, you can book single berth in all three categories: seated coaches, couchettes and sleepers. This means that you will share the compartment with other passengers (separate compartments for men and women). In the sleeper, men and women are separated.
Yes. Special women-only compartments in the couchette coach are available for women travelling alone. Please book the ladies-only compartment at least four days in advance at a DB Travel Centre, a travel agency with a DB licence or by calling the Deutsche Bahn service hotline at +49 (0) 30 2970 (charges depend on provider).
Yes, if you want to travel alone in a compartment with your family or friends, you can book a private compartment in the seated coach, couchette or sleeper. The number of compartments is limited.
You have the following options:
Own compartment in the sleeper:
For maximum comfort, simply book your own sleeper compartment according to the number of people travelling together:
- Single: 1 person in compartment
- Double: 2 people in compartment
- Triple: 3 people in compartment
Own compartment in the couchette coach:
- Up to three adults (and up to six people, max. five children up to 14 years). This is displayed as "Private couchette compartment" or "Private couchette comfort compartment" when booking online, subject to availability.
- Group of four people: Book a compartment with four couchettes (four-person couchette coach)
- Group of six people: Book a compartment with six couchettes (six-person couchette coach) .
Does your group consist of five people and you would like to travel in your own compartment? Simply book a ticket for the free couchette (six-person couchette coach).
Separate compartment in the seated coach:
- Up to three adults (up to three people, max. two children aged 14 or under). This will be displayed as "Private seated coach compartment" when booking online, subject to availability.
Yes. Two adjacent sleeper compartments can be converted via a connecting door into a suite for up to six people. Combine either two Economy compartments or one Economy and one Deluxe compartment. These variants cannot currently be booked online, but only at the DB Travel Centre, at a travel agency with a DB licence or via the Deutsche Bahn service number on +49 30 2970 (charges depend on provider).
Yes. A wheelchair-accessible couchette compartment with sanitary facilities is available for passengers with reduced mobility on the following connections:
- NJ 490/491 Vienna–Hamburg
- NJ 40490/40421 Vienna–Amsterdam
- NJ 420/421 Innsbruck–Amsterdam
- NJ 40420/40491 Innsbruck–Hamburg
- NJ 470/471 Berlin–Zurich
- NJ 50490/425 Vienna–Brussels
These couchette compartments offer space for one passenger with a wheelchair and an accompanying person.
Please reserve this compartment in good time at a DB Travel Centre, a travel agency with a DB licence or by calling +49 30 2970 (charges depend on provider).